- 3 Small Eggplants
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Small Onions, Chopped
- 2 to 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Stalks Of Celery, Chopped
- 1 (28oz.) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Olives, Green or Black, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Capers
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 1/4 Cup Wine Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- To Serve: Garlic Toast
- Peel the eggplants, and cut into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces.
- Put in a colander, sprinkle with the salt and leave 30 minutes.
- In a large pan, add a few tablespoons of the oil, and when hot add the onions, and cook until soft.
- Add the celery and garlic, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook an additional 10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick.
- Rinse the salt from the eggplant and pat dry.
- Add the rest of the oil into a frying pan and once it is hot, add the diced eggplant.
- Cook until the eggplant is tender and turning golden brown.
- Add the eggplant to the tomato mixture with the rest of the ingredients, and cook on low for another 15 minutes.
- Check the seasonings and let come to room temperature before serving.