- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast the almonds in a large pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until they turn golden. Transfer them to a bowl to cool, then grind them in a food processor.
- While the nuts are cooling, prepare the batter. Cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg, milk, and almond extract and beat until you have a smooth batter.
- Butter a grooved almond cake pan and pour the ground nuts inside, shaking to coat all the sides. Discard the excess nuts. Pour in the batter, taking care not to disrupt the nuts, then bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean, 40 to 55 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan so it doesn’t break. Carefully invert on to a platter, then dust with powdered sugar and serve.