I don’t think you can go wrong with this dish. However, for the past 3 years or so…
For some reason, I kept thinking that if I roast the chicken just like us good Americans roast chicken, it would taste like Greek chicken.
I was opposed to cooking the chicken for too long. (A very Greek treatment of all meats in question.) I persisted with my 400 degree Americano roasting technique until a few weeks ago. And guess what? I’m not looking back.
The real thing is goood. Like, real good. And easy. The kind of childhood dish I remember greeting me after a strenuous morning at the beach… The kind of dish everyone is happy to eat thanks to a polygamist marriage of lemon, oregano, olive oil and roasted chicken flavor that seems to be such a hit with the rustic cooking circles of New York City…
I par-boiled the potatoes before adding them to the roasting dish- this makes them soft and luscious and they absorb all of the good stuff that emanates from the roasting chicken.
In the roasting pan you add water. Not too much not too little. Don’t let it make you nervous… think 1/3 of a cup or so. This makes cooking it longer ok because it half braises and half roasts it.
Here is to success!
- 1 chicken cut into 12 pieces (ask the butcher to cut the breast into 4)
- 2 lemons
- 4 waxy potatoes (not Idaho)
- red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and add potatoes (not peeled).
- Boil potatoes for about 7 minutes. A knife should be able to pierce them but feel resistance.
- Cool potatoes in cold water and peel. Cut into wedges.
- Place chicken in a bowl and pour a couple glugs of vinegar over it. Let it sit for a minute and then rinse in cold water and pat dry.
- Place chicken in roasting pan and arrange potato wedges around the chicken.
- Heavily drizzle with olive oil, and squeeze the juice of 2 lemons over the whole thing and add 1/3- 1//2 cup of water. It should barely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle with salt (go for it!) pepper and oregano.
- Place in oven and after five minutes reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Roast for about and hour until the chicken is golden and potatoes are soft and golden colored.
- Serve with steamed greens.