- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 10 shallots (kunjulli)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds (perumjeerakam)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds (karimjeerakam)
- Oil, preferably coconut oil to deep fry
- Bring water to boil and add salt. Add rice flour to the boiling water and mix well so the rice flour is partially cooked. Take off heat and mix again.
- Pulse all ingredients labeled 2 in a food processor. It should not get mushy. Mix with rice flour. Mix in sesame seeds and black cumin seeds.
- Wet your palms and flatten a small portion of the flour mix using fingers into a slightly thick circular shape about 7 cm in diameter.
- Heat oil in a wok. Deep fry each orotti on both side till golden brown. Serve hot with spicy curry of your choice.