- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ¾ cup al purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups water
- Fill a 12-inch pan halfway with water and set over high heat.
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and manually stir with a wire whisk to incorporate.
- Add the water and whisk together until the dry ingredients are completely dissolved and a smooth consistency is attained.
- Strain the mixture in another bowl to remove lumps.
- Lightly grease a medium muffin tin with butter.
- Fill muffin tin with 1/2 of the batter. Occasionally stir the batter while pouring onto the muffin tin to prevent settling of ingredients.
- Once the water in the pan is boiling, place the muffin tin in the pan and cover the pan with a lid.
- Steam the kutsinta for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the muffin tin from the pan and allow them to cool.
- Remove kutsinta from the muffin tin and allow them to cool completely.
- Repeat steps 5-10 one more time, making sure there is enough water in the pan each time.
- Serve kutsinta with grated coconut.
more: This recipe was adapted from the cookbook “Goldilocks Bakebook