- 1-1/2 cups cold brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin (approximately 1 Tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream, for garnish
- chocolate syrup, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coffee, 1/3 cup of the sugar, the gelatin, and half-and-half over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the gelatin has dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the salt. Temper the eggs by whisking a little of the coffee mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Pour into the saucepan and continue to cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Let cool, stirring often.
- When the coffee mixture has thickened, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form and carefully fold into the coffee mixture until blended. Pour into a decorative mold or individual dessert bowls or glasses. Cover and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
- To serve, invert the soufflé onto a plate to unmold (or just keep as-is if in individual dessert glasses or bowls) and garnish with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.