- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 tsp olive oil
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- cilantro, chopped
- green onion, diced
- cucumbers, sliced
- pickled carrots (recipe in notes)
- 4 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp water
- Sriracha, to taste
- Bread – I like to use wheat hoagie buns or crusty french bread.
- Heat 4 tsp olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken well with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook chicken over medium heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare sauce: combine 4 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce with 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 6 tbsp water. Add a few squirts of sriracha, depending on how spicy you want the sauce. (I probably add a couple of tsp.)
- Place bread in a preheated, 350 degree, oven until nice and toasted. Toasting the bread in a toaster will only make the outside of the bread crisp and the sauce will make it soggy – you need a good crunch to your bread!
- Once bread is toasted spoon 1 tbsp sauce mixture on each side of bread. Top with ¼ the chicken and pile on the cucumber, cilantro, green onion, and carrots. Top sandwich with extra sriracha and serve with additional sauce, if desired.