- 1 ¾ cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup fresh milk
- Fill a 12-inch pan halfway with water and set over high heat.
- In a bowl, sift together cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine water, egg whites and fresh milk. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture at low speed for 5 minutes.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Strain the batter into another bowl to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Lightly brush a mini muffin tin with vegetable oil.
- Fill muffin tin ¾ full with the batter.
- Once the water in the pan is boiling, place the muffin tin in the pan and cover the pan with a lid.
- Steam the puto for 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the puto comes out clean.
- Once the puto is cooked, remove from steamer and allow to cool at least 30 seconds before removing from the muffin tins.
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 three more times, making sure there is enough water in the pan each time.