For the dough:
- bread flour - 3 cups
- warm milk - 3/4 cup
- warm water - 1/4 cup
- salt - 1 tsp
- granulated sugar - 2 tbsp
- butter - 2 tbsp
- instant yeast - 1 tbsp
For the garlic butter:
- soft unsalted butter (room temperature) - 1/4 cup
- minced garlic - 5 cloves
- dried parsley or dried oregano - 1 tbsp
- This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=74Z_1U7T2A4# will be useful for you, watch it before you start to cook! First of all dissolve sugar in the mixture of warm milk and water.
- Then add instant yeast and lightly stir with a plastic spoon, let stand for about 10 min. In a bowl, mix flour, salt, butter and yeast mixture. Kneading until you get smooth and elastic dough. Add water/flour if necessary.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- When the dough has doubled, take it out and punch down to release all the bubble. Then let it rest for 5 min. Dividing the dough into 7 equal pieces. Let them rest for 2 min. Use a roller to flatten each piece of dough into oval shape. Roll it up into a long log shape.
- Cover all the shaped dough, put in warm place and let rest for another 15 min. In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients for the garlic butter.
- Using a very sharp knife, make a long cut on the surface, along the dough and about 0.2 inches in depth. Pipe the butter topping into the cut line. Bake at 375F in 15-20 min.