- 16 sticks of mozzarella string cheese
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups Japanese Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 TB dried oregano flakes
- oil for frying (peanut oil is great for frying)
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Place flour in a small dish. In another bowl, mix together the eggs and milk. In a third bowl, combine panko bread crumbs with garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and oregano. Cut mozzarella sticks into halves.
- Roll a piece of mozzarella in flour, dip into egg mixture, and roll well in Panko mixture. Press crumbs in place so mozzarella stick is fully coated. Continue until all pieces are well coated. Place coated mozzarella sticks on a wax-lined baking sheet and put in freezer for at least 30 minutes. (The flash-freezing is important in keeping cheese from falling apart in hot oil.)
- Pour oil to fill a third way up to halfway up in a heavy sauce pan. Using a thermometer, keep oil steady at 365F. Remove frozen mozzarella sticks and fry a few pieces (don’t crowd) at a time, keeping oil temp at 365F throughout frying process (you’ll have to play with turning heat up or down as needed.) Fry about 25-30 seconds, turning sticks until they are an even golden brown, and drain on paper towels. Try not to let cheese leak, but a few tiny bubbles are fine. Continue until entire batch is made. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce and do eat these while hot!
by chewoutloud, adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook