- 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 cups 1-inch bread cubes (depending on type of bread)
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (any kind)*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin BUTTER (or 1/2 cup pumpkin puree)*
- 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar for topping
- nuts, like pecan or walnuts (optional)
- Cut any kind of bread into 1-inch cubes – I recommend a crusty, whole grain variety, but sandwich bread will work, too. Just use enough slice to fill a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish quite full.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and pumpkin butter until well combined. Pour over bread and push down with a spoon or your hands until it’s all soaked and mostly covered. Cover with saran wrap or lid and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees, uncover and top with brown sugar and nuts (optional). Bake for 35-45 minutes or golden brown and no longer wet.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, honey or agave nectar. Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered for up to a couple days.