Ingredients (for 4-6 people):
- 1 packet of thick macaroni (Bucatini is a good choice)
- 500gr. of white mushrooms, cut in thin slices
- 500gr. of portobello mushrooms, cut in thin slices
- 1 large yellow onion, grated
- 1 tin of tomatoes concassé
- 6 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 tbsp of fine bread crumbs
- ½ a bunch of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 300gr. of fresh sour Myzithra cheese (or goat's cheese)
- 1 glass of white dry wine (optional -my addition)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 eggs, beaten
For the béchamel sauce:
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 6 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1Lt of fresh milk, at room temperature
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tea-cup of Greek Kefalotyri cheese, grated (optional -my addition)
- Boil the pasta for 7-8 minutes in a large pot filled with plenty of salted water and then drain in a colander. Transfer back to the pot, drizzle with some oil, stir and leave aside.
- In a wide pot, warm the oil in medium heat and sauté the mushrooms and the onions until their liquids are evaporated. Add the tomatoes, the wine (if used), the garlic and keep cooking for another 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is left only with its oil. Add the parsley, stir and take off the heat.
- Empty the mushrooms with the sauce in the pot with the pasta, add the Myzithra cheese, the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Mix gently but thoroughly the ingredients using two spoons and transfer into a lightly oiled spacious pyrex dish (or oven pan). Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon and leave aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Warm the milk in a saucepan in medium-low heat (don't let it come to the boil!). Leave aside for later.
- In another saucepan melt the butter in medium heat, add the flour and sauté stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the flour absorbs the butter and gets a nice golden colour. Take the saucepan off the heat and gradually add the warm milk while keep stirring vigorously at the same time with a whisk.
- When the ingredients are well blended put the saucepan back on the cooker on low heat and, while stirring, allow the béchamel to come to the boil. Take off the heat and leave aside to cool.
- When ready, add in the saucepan the grated cheese and the eggs and stir thoroughly. Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg and stir again.
- Empty the béchamel over the pasta making sure it covers the whole surface, sprinkle on top with the bread crumbs and put in the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the food forms a nicely browned crust on top. Leave aside for 10 minutes to set and then cut in pieces and serve.