- 2 1/2 CUPS WHOLE MILK
- 5 OUNCES (155 G) CHOPPED SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE (OR CHOCOLATE CHIPS)
- 4 LARGE EGG YOLKS
- 3/4 CUP (185 G) SUGAR
- 3 TABLESPOONS CORNSTARCH
- 1/4 TEASPOON SALT
- 1 1/2 TEASPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 CUP HEAVY CREAM
- 1 TABLESPOON SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
- GARNISH: CHOCOLATE CURLS
For the Filling:
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the milk and chocolate. Whisk them occasionally until the chocolate is melted.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and sugar, whisking them until pale yellow. Add cornstarch, salt and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, whisking them well.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan, and cook over medium heat until it thickens and begins to bubble slowly, about 7 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir the mixture until it’s smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the cookie crust, and smooth it with a spatula. Cover it with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface, and refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- Microwave a medium-size chunk of chocolate on low for about 5 seconds. Using a vegetable peeler, slowly and evenly scrape the edge of the chunk until curls form. (If it’s too cold, the peeler will make ragged shavings instead of curls, so repeat warming the chocolate as necessary.) Refrigerate the curls until ready to use.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk (whip) attachment, beat the cream, sugar and vanilla on medium-high until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the whipped cream onto the pie, and use a spatula to spread it evenly, being careful not to disturb the chocolate pudding underneath.
- Decorate with chocolate curls.
- Refrigerate the pie until ready to serve, but let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma’s “Pie & Tart”