- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ pound (16 to 20) shrimp cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ pound squid with tentacles--cleaned, bodies cut into rings and tentacles left whole (or use one pound of either shrimp or squid)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced on a bias
- 8 small soft rolls or slider buns, or 4 soft sandwich rolls
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder (I used Madras Hot Curry Powder)
- ¾ teaspoons ground cardamom
- ¾ teaspoons Sriracha or sambal chile sauce
- Make the broodje: In a large skillet, over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the minced onion and garlic and stir often until the onions soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Increase the heat to high. Once the onions just start to brown, add the shrimp and squid. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the seafood is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large plate or shallow bowl and allow cool about 10 minutes before covering with plastic wrap and chilling in the refrigerator, for at least 1 hour.
- Make the mayonnaise: In a large bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, curry powder, cardamom and chile sauce.
- Add the chilled seafood mixture and scallions to the mayonnaise and stir to combine. Slice the rolls open, top with the seafood and serve.