- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance, cut in pieces
- 1/4 cup all-vegetable shortening (Spectrum)
- 3/4 cup warm almond milk (or non-dairy milk)
- In a food processor, put the flour, salt, and baking powder and with a fitted steel blade pulse for 5 seconds.
- Add the shortening and Earth Balance and process ntil the mixture looks like coarse meal, about 15 seconds.
- While the machine is running, pour the milk through the feed tube in a steady stream and process until the dough almost comes together into a ball. Remove from bowl and knewad a few times and let rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare pino or the seitan filling.
- Roll dough into a long log and cut dough into 10-12 pieces.
- 8 ounce package Upton's Nautrals Ground Beef-style Seitan
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 12 pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup seedless black raisin, soaked for 5 minutes and drained
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan and saute' onions for 5-7 minutes until transparent. Add seitan and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes. add seasonings and cook for 3 more minutes. Add vegetable broth and simmer until liquid almost evaporates (5 minutes). Add arrowroot powder to seitan mixture and cook until mixture thickens.
- Take one piece of dough and roll into a 6-inch circle. Add 1-1 1/2 Tablespoons of seitan filling. Add a few raisins and one black olive.
- Take one side of the dough and bring to the front side of dough to enclose the filling sealing the ends and folding the excess dough and sealing upwards.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- "Egg" wash over the empanadas. 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder w/ 2 Tablespoons water. Mix well and brush over the tops of each empanada.
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven and turn each empanada over and baking on the opposite side for 5 minutes. This is will brown the tops a little.