Ingredients (for 4 persons):
- 450 gms – 3 cups self-raising flour
- 80 gms – 5 ½ tbsp butter, chilled and cubed
- 185 ml – ¾ cup water
- 1 pinch of salt
- Put the flour, salt and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Now add the water and keep mixing, adding 1 or 2 tbsp extra water if required, until you obtain a smooth dough.
- Shape it into an 18 cm disc and place it on a baking tray layered with baking paper. Mark 8 wedges on the top with a sharp knife that has been dipped in flour and dust the damper with a little extra flour.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 200°C – 390°F for 30 – 40 minutes or until the damper is cooked through and sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Transfer it to a wire rack for 5 minutes to cool. You can serve it warm or at room temperature. It can be stored in an airtight container for a few days.
Recipe adapted from Taste