• 7 large eggs
  • 1 cup good quality coconut milk
  • 2/3 cup dark brown sugar or raw cane sugar
  • 1/4 tsp each...powdered cinnamon, anise, cloves.
  • i did not have powdered anise so i steeped 3 star anise in the coconut?sugar mixture.
  • 1 tsp ginger juice (use garlic press)
  • 1 tsp baking soda


  1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
  2. Grease a 8"x 3"x 4" loaf pan.  i used a glass pyrex because that's what i though would be good for a custard.  ALSO, i wanted to see what it was looking like from top to bottom.
  3. Melt sugar in coconut milk over medium high heat in  a medium sauce pan and boil or simmer for about 15 minutes.
  4. Add spices, ginger juice and baking soda.  whip with whisk for about 1 will foam up a bit.
  5. Remove mixture from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
  6. Add slightly beaten eggs in a slow steady stream and beat the mixture until smooth with a whisk.
  7. Pour batter through a strainer into a preheated greased loaf pan
  8. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes in regular oven.
  9. I think mine was in for 45 minutes.  i kept a close eye on it...not knowing what it was supposed to look like, i waited until the center looked like it had risen enough and i knew the eggs were cooked through. 
  10. BY THE was soooo odd looking while it cooked...something out of Alien.  it looked like it was alive all bubbling underneath it's thin brown crust.  i've never seen anything like it.
  11. Remove from oven and let the cake stand for at least 15 minutes for it to cool before removing from pan.
  12. As the cake cools it will deflate considerably.  don't be alarmed.  it will condense into a firm custard.
  13. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
  14. Another BY THE WAY...right out of the oven this thing smelled like rotten eggs...sulfur in fact.  i thought, what the heck is this? can this be edible?  i put it in the fridge for a few hours and gave it a try...ewe, still rotten eggs.  yikes.  i was going to throw it out, but knew i needed to blog about it.  i let it sit in the fridge while i thought about it.   a day or two later i brought it out again...after messing around for about an hour taking pictures i realized the smell had gone away.  miraculously the smell had disappeared.
  15. After it is cooked, put it in the fridge for at least a day or two.  then bring it out and give it a try.  maybe it will need some airing out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + ''; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();