- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, but still cool
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry “juice”
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling the cookies
- 36 milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to the lowest setting and slowly add the powdered sugar and salt.
- Add the cherry juice and the almond extract until combined.
- With the mixer still on low, slowly add the flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and add the cherries.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, and place the balls on a baking sheet, approximately 2 inches apart.
- Using your thumb, gently press each cookie in its center until the cookie is about 1/2-inch thick.
- Sprinkle each cookie with a little granulated sugar.
- Bake the cookies until the bottoms are lightly browned, about 14 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie’s center.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.