- 3 cups frozen baby broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
- salt to taste
- Microwave broccoli florets in a large, microwave safe bowl according to package instructions until tender (usually 4-5 minutes). Drain off any water and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add elbow macaroni. Boil according to directions until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk to form a paste (roux). Cook 1-2 minutes to eliminate raw flour taste. Slowly pour in milk, whisking briskly to remove lumps. Continue cooking over medium heat, whisking constantly, until milk mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in shredded cheese. Add salt to taste.
- Add drained macaroni back to pot. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni, add broccoli, and stir to combine. Devour.