- 1 pie shell
- 15 (approximate) cherry tomatoes
- Chunks of fresh mozzarella
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Fresh Basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the pie shell onto the assembled baking sheet (this reduces the damage that might occur when transferring from the counter to the baking sheet).
- Place tomatoes in the center of the pie shell leaving approximately 2 inches of the pie shell free. Sprinkle mozzarella pieces over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Fold up the edges of the pie shell up and over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Whisk together the egg and water and brush this mixture over the pie shell. Sprinkle salt over the pie shell.
- Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes of until the pie crust is golden brown, the cheese is bubbly and the tomatoes look ready to burst.
- Garnish the rustic tart with fresh basil leaves and serve warm.