- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1/2 poundground beef
- 1/2 poundground pork
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig parsley
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- Wash cabbage and remove leaves, then soak leaves in boiling water for 1-2 minutes until they are soft.
- Trim thick center vein from the bottom of each leaf.
- Wash and clean carrot, chop into thin strips.
- Sautee carrots and diced onions until tender.
- Wash and finely chop parsley.
- Boil rice to half-readiness -- make sure the rise is still somewhat hard, otherwise it will turn to mush when you boil it again.
- Wash tomatoes, then puree tomatoes in a blender.
- Clean garlic and crush in a garlic press.
- Combine ground meat with rice, onion, carrot, garlic, tomato paste and parsley, add salt and pepper to taste, mix well.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of meat on each cabbage leaf.
- Fold sides of cabbage over filling, and, starting with the stem end, roll the cabbage into tubes. Press the mixture into the leaves.
- Line the bottom of a pot with cabbage leaves and place the rolled golubtsy inside.
- Boil water, add tomato paste, and pour into pot.
- Cook over a low flame for 45 minutes to an hour. Check for readiness -- cabbage should be soft but not mushy, meat should be cooked through.
- Serve the golubtsy with the sauce they cooked in, and a dollop of sour cream.