- 3 lbs. chicken pieces
- 1tsp. dried oregano
- 1tbsp. achiote tinted oil (See Basic recipes)
- 1 oz. salted pork (Our tocino)
- 2 oz. lean cured ham(Jamón)
- 1 medium onion, (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper, (Seeded and chopped)
- 2 sweet peppers (ajíes dulces-seeded and chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- 4-5 culantro leaves (cilantro-chopped)
- 10 to 12 pimiento stuffed olives
- 1 tsp. capers (alcaparras)
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 bay leaves (Hojas de Laurel)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. potatoes, (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 can green peas (16 oz.)
- 1/2 cup of wine (And a lil for the chef)
- In a heavy olla (Pan), heat the achiote oil on medium-high heat. Brown the diced salt pork and ham.
- Reduce heat to low and add the dried oregano, onion, pimiento pepper, sweet peppers, garlic cloves and the culantro leaves.
- Sauté all the ingredients, for about 10 minutes or so, to bring all the flavors together.
- Increase heat to medium, add all the chicken and cook for about 3-4 minutes. (Rican takes a swig of wine)
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring it to a boil. This is where you taste it to see if you added enough salt to your taste.
- When it starts to boil, reduce heat to medium, cover it and cook it for about 45-50 minutes.
- Add the peas or your other favorite veggies like canned carrots etc, and boil uncovered until the yummy sauce thickens to your taste. (Rican takes another swig of wine)