For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Peanut Butter Buttercream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons softened unsalted butter,
- cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Coating
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with 10 cupcake cups.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In larger bowl combine sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Add dry mixture and whisk until smooth. Spoon batter into cupcake cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake 25 minutes or until center is just set. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer cupcakes to wire rack. Cool completely.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the buttercream frosting. Combine sugar, egg whites, and salt in bowl of electric stand mixer.
- Set bowl over pan of simmering water. Gently whisk until mixture registers 160 degrees F on instant-read thermometer.
- Immediately transfer bowl to electric stand mixer. With whisk attachment, whip on medium-high speed until mixture resembles consistency of shaving cream.
- On medium speed, add butter one piece at a time, until combined and creamy.
- Whip in peanut butter and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Transfer buttercream to pastry bag fitted with a plain 1/2-inch tip (#808).
- Pipe 1/3 cup frosting onto each cupcake. Chill cupcakes in refrigerator until buttercream is completely firm, about 1 hour.
- Once the cupcakes have chilled, make the chocolate coating. Place oil and chocolate in a medium bowl and melt over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Stir until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Transfer to a large coffee mug.
- Holding cupcake by the bottom, carefully dip into the chocolate. Be sure to submerge all of the buttercream.
- Pull up and hold for a few seconds to let excess chocolate drip off. Transfer to cooling rack and repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- Before serving, let cupcakes rest a few minutes so chocolate can set.