- 3 cups butternut squash, in ¾ inch chunks
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons mayo
- 2/3 cup Parmesan, grated (or strong cheddar)
- 1/3 cup Panko (or breadcrumbs)
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch baking dish, round or square.
- In a medium pot, cover squash with cold water, place a lid on top and bring to a boil over high heat. When boiling, reduce heat so that the water just simmers and cook squash for about 15 min. or until tender. Rinse under cold water; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan and add onions. Sauté on medium heat, stirring often, until softened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg, salt and mayonnaise together. Add 1/3 cup of Parmesan, panko, sautéed onion and squash and fold together gently to combine. Season with pepper and more salt, if needed.
- Spoon in to prepared baking dish and top with remaining 1/3 cup of cheese. Bake 1 hour or until heated through and cheese is slightly browned. Serve hot.