- 12 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 cup mild chile pepper paste (aji panca, if available)
- 1/2 cup vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large red onion
- About 15 large mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Wooden skewers (about 15)
- Mash the garlic with a rock, or with a mortar and pestle. Add a little water if necessary to make a paste.
- Make the marinade: in a bowl, mix the crushed garlic, 1/4 cup of the vinegar, 1/4 cup chile pepper paste, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon salt, and 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch by 2 inch cubes. Place chicken pieces in bowl with the marinade and stir well. Marinate chicken at least one hour, or overnight in the refrigerator for best flavor.
- Peel the onion and cut into 1 inch wedges.Remove the seeds and the white part of the bell pepper, and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Place the chicken and vegetable pieces on the wooden skewers, alternating the chicken with the vegetables..
- Make a basting mixture of 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, and a pinch of cumin.
- Prepare the grill, and grill chicken for 5 minutes on each side. Baste chicken several times during cooking.
- Cut a piece of the chicken to check for doneness. If the chicken is still pink on the inside, place it back on the grill, checking frequently. Do not overcook.
- Remove the chicken from the grill. Serve with rice and corn on the cob.