- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 150g castor sugar
- 400g mascarpone
- 200g savoiardi
- 200ml extra strong coffee, cooled
- 100g dark chocolate, grated
- Stiffly whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in another bowl until pale and fluffy and almost tripled in volume.
- Gently fold in the mascarpone and then the egg whites.
- Dunk the savoiardi quickly in the coffee (so as not too soak) and layer on the base of a deep rectangular serving dish.
- Cover with a layer of the mascarpone cream and continue making layers until all ingredients are used.
- End with a layer of mascarpone cream.
- Chill in refrigerator for approx three hours and sprinkle with grated chocolate just before serving.