- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup milk (or an additional cup of water)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Mix all the ingredients together (except oil) to form a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a cutting board or other flat surface. Knead the dough until smooth (about 10 minutes).
- Tear off a piece of dough and flatten it (about ½-inch thick) on the cutting board.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch squares.
- Pour some sugar in a paper bag (to coat the chinchin after it is fried).
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Place a few of the squares into the oil and fry until golden brown.
- Place the fried chinchin on a paper towel for a few seconds to soak up the extra oil (do not cool).
- Place the chinchin into the bag of sugar and shake to coat all sides. Serve.